Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Homemade Breakfast Sandwiches

Mr. J is a hungry guy!  He works hard at work and needs a good breakfast to get him started in the morning.  He loves breakfast sandwiches but they can be expensive!!  So I thought I would try my hand at making my own.  I found this recipe and it looked easy enough so I went for it!


I started off with these English muffins.  They were 2 for $5 (so 12 total) at my local grocery so I thought that was a good deal! 


I lightly toasted them up and then set them up to cool. It was like building a house of cards but with English muffins.


Next I cracked an egg into each cup of a muffin tin and baked them at 350 for about 15-20 min.  The original recipe said 10-15 but when I checked on them they looked pretty runny!  So I cooked them a little longer!  Mr. J said that if I did these again I should whip the yokes into the whites.  He said the yokes tend to stay colder than the rest of the sandwich when he reheats them.  So if you try this make sure to stir up the eggs!


I then put the bottoms of the muffins on a foil lined cookie sheet (the foil just helps with an easier clean up!) and then I put a slice of cheese on top!  MMM bread and cheese, so far so good!


Then I put the cooked and cooled eggs on top of the cheese. 


Now it's time to put the tops on the muffins.  Those look so delicious!




There is a side view for you!  They stick up but we will fix that! I squished them down a bit when I wrapped them with plastic wrap. 


I wanted to par-freeze (is that a word?) them a bit before I wrapped them.  So I put them on top of our chest freezer in the garage (cause it's about 20 degrees out there) but you could stick them in your freezer if you have room.  And once they were semi frozen I wrapped them in plastic wrap and put them in the freezer.  Now Mr. J defrosts one in the microwave and then heats it up. The original recipe said to cook in the oven for 25-30 min but I do NOT have time in the morning to fire up the oven and cook something before Mr. J leaves.  So the microwave works just fine for us.  Now I can send Mr. J to work happy and well fed for about $0.80 a sandwich!  And start to finish this took me about an  hr (not including the hr in the freezer!).

What does your hubby/wife eat before work?  Do you make them something or do they get something on the run?

Love, Lacey

No comments:

Post a Comment