Monday, April 7, 2014

Holding Back



Last week our Pastor gave an awesome sermon (you can listen to it  here) entitled "What are you holding back?".  It focused on Mark chapter 12. He talked about the story of the widow who gave all the money she had to God.  It's a story I have heard before but didn't really think too much about it.  We tithe and serve so I thought what could God POSSIBLY want me to give Him! While we were doing communion, our Pastor challenged us to pray and ask God what we were holding back from Him.  I remember Pastor Mike saying "If you ask and truly listen, He will tell you what to give Him". So I just prayed "God show me what you want me to give you", And I felt Him tell me (I know that sounds weird but I did!) your running.  Now at first I was a bit crushed.  I'm not sure why, I just felt like I had the wind knocked out of me. My running?! I love my running?  What's wrong with my running and why do you want it? After that feeling faded (about a minute later) I simply said, "Ok God!  It's yours!  Take it and use it for your glory".

I wrestled with that the rest of the day and into the evening. But the next day I sent a facebook message to a girl I had been following for awhile called Running4Him.  Her name is Tiffany, and she is amazing!  You should follow her too! Her whole page and fitness journey is dedicated to God and to giving Him glory!  She amazes me!  So I sent her a message to ask her about her story and what turning it over to Him looks like. And I'm thankful to say she wrote me the sweetest letter back.  I have read it several times and I'm still struggling through what giving my running really means but she gave me some GREAT advice and places to possibly start.

Not long after the above verse was in my devotions. 1 Timothy 4:8 "For physical training is of some value, but godliness has a value fir all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come."  This verse spoke so loudly to me! So many times on my runs I try to do it on my own.  Or I think I CAN'T go any farther.  I spend a lot of time on my running, and planning my runs, and races and just a lot of time on running in general.  I feel like this verse really told me to focus on Him more than my running.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what giving my running to Him fully looks like but I'm trying my best.  My training starts today so lots of praying and seeking wisdom through this year.

Has God ever asked you to give Him something? Did you do it willingly or did you keep it for yourself?

Love, Lacey

No comments:

Post a Comment