Monday, February 3, 2014

Some Light Reading


I was never a big reader when I was a kid. I found it hard to find books that could keep my interest. Even as an adult I struggle to find content that keeps my attention.  I've tried romance novels and for the most part I don't like them. I've tried true life stories and unless it's something that interests me I just can't finish the book.  I can't tell you how many times someone have told me, "You HAVE to read this book.  It's so amazing!" and I read it and it's either boring or sad or just plain HORRIBLE! I do have a few favorite authors but in general I just kind of go off other people's suggestions.  But recently I decided to try finding a few books for myself.  So I picked a few subjects that I'm passionate about and went for it.  The four (yes four) that I am currently reading are "Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire", "Run Less Run Faster", "Mile Markers", & "Just Give Me Jesus". 

I am just over half way through with "Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire" and I have to say I really like it.  It's a short book but it has a lot of good nuggets in it.  The basic overview is as Christians we need to be constantly seeking God, His will, His leading, and calling upon His power. We are weak and powerless without Him and we need to quit relying on our own strength and wishing things were different.  We need to seek Him!  It talks about the power of prayer and how important it is to be praying constantly.  It really is a good book.  I would recommend it! It also has a study guide in the back to help you reflect on your own life. 

I am only a few pages into "Run Less Run Faster" but I have heard good things about this book.  It's written by Runners World Magazine so you can trust their training! I'm excited to read this and see what I can tweak in my training to make me a better/faster runner. 

The book "Mile Markers" I have not started.  A running page I follow on Facebook mentioned this book.  She was talking about praying her way through a marathon.  Her basic premise was that she would pray for a different person for each mile of her marathon.  That's 26 different people if you didn't know!  I thought this was such an amazing idea.  It keeps your mind off yourself and any pain you might be in and focused on God and the needs of others.  Anyways!  She mentioned this book in that post.  So I'm curious to see what it has to say. 

"Just Give Me Jesus" I have read just one chapter but I love it!  It has such great wisdom and insight!  I'm excited to read this book. This one also has a study guide in the back and I'm excited to continue filling that in and seeing what God has to teach me through this book.  

So as you can see I am obviously passionate about Christ (which I hope you knew before this!) and running.  I am excited to see where God is going to lead me this year with my running and my relationship with Him.  I plan to fill you in as I finish these books and let you know if they are worth your time or not.  But so far "Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire" should DEFINITELY be on your reading list! 

What kind of books do you like to read?  What was the last book you read that you LOVED?

Love, Lacey

No comments:

Post a Comment