Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Refrigerator Oatmeal

I have seen this recipe on 100 different sites! I thought I would try it.  So I found it on Pinterest and gave it a go!  Here is the one that I use.  But I changed it just a little to meet my tastes and needs.


Our cast of characters includes almond milk.  You could use water, regular milk, soy, coconut, pretty much any milk or liquid you want. 



Next we have some jam.  You can pick any jam you want.  This is going to be your flavor of your oatmeal so make sure it's one you love. 



And last but not least, you need old fashioned oats.  DO NOT use quick cooking oats.  You must look for old fashioned oats.  I bought this right at my regular grocery store.  It was right beside the other oat meals. 



You will also need a dish of some sort.  I like to use these small ball jars.  I think it looks pretty and then it becomes an easy portable breakfast! But you could use a regular bowl, a plastic Tupperware, whatever the ingredients fit in and can expand just slightly. 


Now you want to put everything into your jar.  I use this canning funnel because although I can get the milk and jam in pretty easily, the oats seem to fly all over the kitchen.  So I just got out the funnel and used it.  Makes it very easy!



Here is the jar with all the ingredients in.  It looks like a parfait! 


Then I simply stir it all together. Make sure it is all mixed very well.  The jam tends to get stuck in chunks and then I feel like it's not flavoring the whole thing.  Or really I just don't want to bite into a chunk of jam.  So give it a good mix with a spoon!  I then put plastic wrap on the top because we didn't have any jar lids.  Then screwed on the rim and put it in the fridge!  In the morning I grab it on my way out the door for church or work or where ever I was going. Don't forget your spoon!! Just a small warning.  The oats will be a little chewy. That is how they are supposed to be.  If you don't like chewy oats this may not be for you.  I like it.  It reminds me of a cereal if that makes sense. But try it out!  I wasn't sure about it at first and now it's an easy go to for busy mornings!

Refrigerator Oatmeal

2/3 cup old fashion oats
1/2 cup almond milk
1-2 TBSP jam

Mix all together and put in the fridge overnight, or at least 6 hrs. This also keeps well! I have made up 3 at a time and used them during that week.  

What other recipes are you interested in? What's your favorite breakfast?

Love, Lacey

No comments:

Post a Comment