Friday, December 20, 2013

Stop the Fat Talk


I was sitting on the couch the other night having one of those days where you just feel blah.  I was cutting myself down, picking out all of my flaws.  And I was getting ready to text my friends about how FAT I was when I saw this video. 




I nearly cried.  I do it all the time! I say things like, "I'm so FAT",  "I hate my big belly", "My thighs are huge". I would NEVER NEVER NEVER say that to another person.  So why do I think it's ok to say it to myself? I've even been known to call myself "fatty" in a conversation. "Fatty wants food!" "Fatty needs to workout!"  I cut myself down almost every day.  I will be watching a tv show or a movie or even a YouTube video and think "Why can't my legs be nice & thin like hers?"or "Look at thin & pretty she is".   I'll see a post on Facebook about someone wearing a certain size and I'll think "Why can't I be that size?"or "I'm so big".  

The truth of the matter is that I don't know a woman who is perfectly happy with their body! Its may not always be a weight issue but maybe it's a scar or a discoloration or something!  We all have something that we dislike about ourselves and we beat ourselves down for it.  Before the 6 pack went on girls weekend,  a couple of my friends and I got together to talk about what we were bringing to wear and the one friend was saying that she couldn't wear these certain pants because her legs were too fat.  First of all this girl is GORGEOUS!  Inside and out she is just amazing!  So we made her put on the outfit including the pants so we could see what she was talking about (we would be honest if it didn't look good). She put on the pants and was stunning! She does not have big thighs? She just looked amazing but she couldn't see it.  She said she felt like a sausage.  

But the more I think about it I do the same thing!  I will try something on or put something on and complain about how it looks or I feel and even if someone tells me it looks good.  Just this weekend at Mr. J's Christmas party I wore a new dress and it felt good!  I felt really pretty and comfortable until I saw one picture.  I had taken a straight on selfie in a huge bathroom mirror.  I looked very wide.  Now if you know anything about angles taking a straight on picture is not the most flattering.  I even had a picture taken earlier in the night where I'm turned to the side with Mr. J and I thought I looked great.  But that ONE picture is bugging me.  WHY!?  I felt good about myself before that stupid picture!  Why do I have to let one bad angled picture bug me?!  Because we are told by "they, them, society" that we should be perfect at all times.  We must not have an oz of fat on our bodies and we must have it all together. Well guess what world?!  NO ONE HAS THAT!! We are all a mess! I don't care who you are, you have something in your life that isn't perfect, something that is messy, and uncomfortable, or embarrassing. 

So I for one am going to do my best to not fat talk about myself!  I am also going to do my best to not think those thoughts.  Or when I do have those thoughts to replace them with positive thoughts.  Instead of thinking "I hate my thighs" why not think "I have really strong legs for running". I'm not saying I won't slip up.  I'm not saying my friends still won't get the occasional "Fatty" text.  But that will be one of my goals for 2014 (starting a little early)  NO MORE FAT TALK!   And I challenge you to do the same! Make 2014 the year you finally quit beating yourself up for what your body isn't and start loving your body for what it is! 

Love, Lacey


No comments:

Post a Comment