Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Christmas Traditions

Our tree topper
I was reading one of my favorite blogs the other day and she was talking about making family Christmas traditions. Her name is Janae and although we have never even spoken, I feel like we could be BFFs! She is a runner (although she is FAST with a capital F!), a mommy, and a food lover! We have so much in common!  If you want to check her out you can click right here .  She got me thinking back on some of the traditions I had growing up.  Two I can vividly remember.  I'm sure there are more cause my mom is awesome! But the kids sucked my brain cells dry and I just can't think!  

The first one that comes to mind is that every year when we put up our Christmas tree, we would watch the movie White Christmas.  If you haven't seen this movie go IMMEDIATELY to Netflix!  Do not walk, do not pass go, do not collect $200 (unless you are going to share with me) GO WATCH IT!  It is awesome.  It has music and dancing and a little drama and honors the military!  Just a side note about me, my family bleeds red, white, & blue.  I have countless family members currently serving and retired military.  My brother is currently a Staff Sargent in the United States Marines.  And on my paternal side of the family we have had a solider in every US war/conflict since WW2.  Thank God we have never lost a solider but when I tell you my heart breaks for them I'm not lying!  I'm tearing up thinking about how lucky we have been.  We sent my brother to Iraq & Afghanistan 3 times and thankfully he came home safe each time but I know he has lost friends and seen the unspeakable.  I am FOREVER grateful to anyone who serves or served in the armed forces!  Ok!  So I'm back from the tangent!  Sorry!  I'm passionate about the military so any movie that depicts military (Marines especially) I'm all over it!  White Christmas is just a feel good movie!  But what I remember most is after I got married and moved out of my parents house, my mom would call and sing me a song from the movie.  Or I would answer the phone and would only hear music playing (the tv playing the movie).  It's something special my mom & I did together.  This year I had the kids sit down and watch it.  I doubt they got how amazing the ending is but they like the singing and dancing! I think I will have to add this our family Christmas traditions!

The Second is that on Christmas Eve my parents and I would go to Pizza Hut for supper and then go drive around and look at lights.  I don't ever remember seeing any specific lights or anything too special but I always remember going out to eat and enjoying the evening together.  One year I had gotten a 1-800 number to call and check on Santa.  So I would go to the payphone (This is pre cell phones.  I know! I'm OLD!) and call to see where he was.  You could call once an hr and they would update you on what he was doing.  I thought that was so much fun!  What a cool memory of using a payphone to check on Santa!

I have been trying to come up with some Christmas traditions of my own for our family and our kids.  In years past my mom has come over and we have made Christmas cookies.  It is always a lot of fun but this year just got away from me.  Getting new clothes and getting dressed up for church is a must in our house.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE buying Miss V a new Christmas dress each year.  And the agony of trying to decide which one is always fun. Each year the kids also get a new pair of pjs!  They get to wear them while I take pics for the Christmas cards.  Last year Miss V was tying up the boys with a string of Christmas lights.  They are so funny.  So what are some of your favorite Christmas traditions?  What are some you hope to start?  I will post more of our Christmas tree for you next week!  Just wanted to give you a sneak peek of the topper!

Love, Lacey

No comments:

Post a Comment