Thursday, December 19, 2013

Finding Happiness

Mountains make me happy

What is it about sunsets and mountains that make me so happy?  The kids and I went to Tennessee for spring break this year and I literally giggled with joy when I saw the mountains starts to come into view.  There is just something about the breath taking majesty and the quiet strength of the mountains.  Just amazing!!

Earlier this week I went to Miss V's school to drop off her teachers' Christmas present (see this post for info) and I started talking to one of her teachers.  I knew that someone in her family had recently passed away but I wasn't sure the relation.  So as I'm talking with her teacher she begins to tell me that it was her brother that passed and that it has been very hard. Then she said "As hard as it was, I know he is finally happy.  And that is all he ever wanted".  That stuck with me all day and has haunted me a bit since.  Finding happiness is something that eludes so many people. 

Even as Christians we aren't always happy.  God never promises us happiness but says he will give us joy.   Psalms 118:24 says "This is the day the Lord has made; We will rejoice and be glad in it." That makes me think we have to CHOSE gladness.  But how do we chose gladness, or joy, or happiness when we don't feel it?   Romans 12:12 says "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer". Joyful in hope I can usually do but patient in affliction?  I am no good.  I don't want to go through pain or suffering of any kind.   But then I think of Romans 5:2b-4"And we boast in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope."   Well I want hope because hope can give you happiness.  If we have a hope of what is to come we can't give up. So maybe we shouldn't strive for happiness but for hope.  Romans 8:24&25 says "For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what they already have? But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently." Think back to a time that you were waiting for something.  Maybe it was your wedding day, or a baby, or a phone call to say you got the job or the house. It's hard to be patient when it's something big.  But if we have hope that it's coming it does make the wait a bit easier.

I'm not really sure if this has helped anyone.  For me it has reassured me that I have hope! Jeremiah 29:11 says ""For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." God plans to give you HOPE!  and a future!  And not just any future a really amazing one!  He wants to love and take care of you and be with you for all eternity! We serve an amazing God!  And if you don't know Him, ask me about Him.  I'll be happy to tell you what I know!

Love, Lacey



No comments:

Post a Comment