Friday, March 14, 2014

Buying Cheese in Bulk


I wanted to share with you a little money saving tip!  We are a family of 5 with only one income.  So we have a pretty tight grocery budget.  I meal plan and do the best that I can with what I have. I thought I would share one of my favorite money saving tips in hopes it will help someone else!

We go through a lot of shredded cheese!  I make Mac'n'cheese almost every week and we have tacos and chili often and all those mean the need for shredded cheese.  So I buy this big bag of shredded Colby Jack from Sam's Club for about $14.  



I put the big plastic bag in this metal bowl to help keep it upright.  I cut the whole top off the bag since I'm going to separate the bag out into smaller bags so no need for the resealable top!  I pre-open about 10 Ziploc quart size freezer bags and put about 2 cups of cheese in each bag.  Most of the bags of shredded cheese you buy in the store are 2 cups so that is what I do.  But you could easily do 1 cup or 4 cups or anything that you wanted!


After I scoop them all out I squeeze out most of the air, seal the top, and fold the bag over.  I get about 12, 2 cup bags out of that 5 lbs bag of cheese.  If you do the math that averages out to about $1.17 a bag!  The last time I looked a 2 cup baggie of shredded cheese at the grocery store was well over $2 and closer to 3 or 4!  


Any time I need to make something or we are getting low on cheese in the fridge, I just go out to our chest freezer and pull a bag out!  I usually have to buy more cheese within 2-3 months and the cheese is just as good the last bag as it is the first!  If you are looking for a way to save some money at the grocery store try buying shredded cheese in bulk! I have found it's a great way to save some money!  Hope you try it out!!

What is your best money saving tip? What over tips would you like?!

Love, Lacey



No comments:

Post a Comment