Friday, January 17, 2014

Motivation Vs. Determination

Do you ever have a week where you feel  like this? 




Yep!  That was me on Monday.  I don't know why but I have been super grouchy this week.  And to go along with my grouchy mood I've had ZERO motivation.  I mean I did NOT want to workout to save my life. As you may or may not know I am in week 5 (today is the last day) of a 10 week workout program.  I work out 5 days a week for 25 mins a day except for double day Fridays where it's two videos.  ANYWAYS!!  It's really important to me to finish this program.  I set a goal to do all the workouts for all 10 weeks and I want to do it.  But here I am in week 5 feeling like I want to crawl in bed and never come out.  I'm not sure if it is because the kids went back to school (after 3 weeks!) and I'm trying to adjust to our regular schedule. Or maybe it's because I went to the most awesome rocking 80's party on Friday night followed by a fantastic date night on Saturday.  So maybe I had a weekend hangover?  At any rate, I was not feeling myself and certainly was not feeling like working out.  But you know what? I did it anyways! 

A few days ago a friend of mine mentioned that she wished she had my motivation.  I almost laughed out loud.  Like I just said I had NO motivation.  But you know what I did have?  Determination! I set a goal and I will make it no matter what.  But the conversation got me thinking about motivation vs. determination.  So I thought I would look up some definitions.

Motivation -  

 - the act or process of giving someone a reason for doing something : the act or process of motivating someone
 - the condition of being eager to act or work : the condition of being motivated
 - a force or influence that causes someone to do something

I love the second definition!  The condition of being eager to act or work.  I can think of a few things that have made me eager to act or work. But usually working out is not it!  Now let's look at the definition for determination.

Determination - 

 - a quality that makes you continue trying to do or achieve something that is difficult
 - the act of finding out or calculating something
 - the act of officially deciding something


I love all these definitions but the first is great. It's a personality quality that makes you continue trying to do something that is difficult. Not just an act or condition but a quality! 

I have never been one to think that I have determination of any sort.  But I will be honest there are other runners and people that have pushed me to be better.  To be a better christian, mother, runner, friend, and person! Over this past year of running I have learned what determination means.  But this week I lived it.  I have made a goal to finish all 10 weeks of this workout program.  And not just phone it in, but to truly work my booty off (literally)! So in order to accomplish my goal I need determination! Because with determination you don't go by feeling.  With determination you go by your goals! I have a calendar that every day when I finish my workout I color the square pink! I get excited when I pick up the marker to color it in.  I never color the square before I actually do the workout.  This motivates me and helps keep me focused to achieve my goals!

What are your goals? How do you keep yourself motivated and find determination? 

Love, Lacey

No comments:

Post a Comment