Friday, January 24, 2014

A Verse Worth Memorizing

I'm going to let you in on a little secret.  I have anxiety. Ok that really isn't a secret!  Anyone who knows me, or knows the real me cause I like to pretend that I don't worry about anything, already knows I suffer with anxiety.  I think it's a two part problem. One part is I'm a Type A/OCD type person and so I like to be in control.  I like to have every detail worked out and lists made and if I don't know what is coming next I get very anxious. Go with the flow is NOT my favorite way to do anything! I LOVE my schedule and if it gets thrown off I feel a bit panicked.  The second part is that Satan knows this about me and feeds me lies about it.  He knows exactly how to make me more upset and whisper things to get me thinking of the what if's.  I can go from happily relaxing on vacation to thinking something bad is going to happen to the kids or me or Mr. J or my parents or . . .  well you get the idea. 

Well for awhile I have been having acid reflux/GERD issues.  Last fall they were so bad that they actually burnt my vocal chords and caused vocal chord distress. Which on a side note, REALLY puts a damper on your running times!  So I have been taking an over the counter medication per my doctor and some days it does ok and other days it does NOTHING! I have been looking to find the cause of my reflux and my doctor suggested that I have an endoscopy done to make sure there wasn't any ting physically wrong. So yesterday was the day! I couldn't eat or drink anything after midnight the night before and then basically go in and take a nap is what I was told.  But of course never having had an endoscopy before and having only been put under a handful of times, I was worried. 

 Now anxiety isn't anything new to me and God has given me several verses to use when I feel anxious.  He gave me this one on Sunday and then again Wednesday night as I was feeling nervous and anxious about this procedure.  The verse is Philippians 4:6&7 "Do not be anxious about anything, but in ever situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Now I have read this verse before and prayed it and it has given me peace before but Wednesday night I realized it says "guard your hearts and your MINDS in Christ Jesus". (emphasis mine).  My mind?! The very thing with which I rage war on myself again and again?!

So I prayed this verse over and over and over again.  I woke up several times in the night and prayed it. I prayed it when the kids unexpectedly had a 2 hour delay.  That was not in my plan so it made me anxious.  Praise God! He had already worked out what I would do with the kids so I didn't have to worry. I prayed it all the way to the hospital and right up until the medication did it's job and I zonked out. I can't tell you the peace that I received. As soon as I would feel upset or nervous I would pray these words and feel at peace. I also was blessed with many friends and family praying over me today and I know that their prayers for peace for helping me too. 

If you are in a time of worry, anxiety, uncertainty, or just generally feel lost CALL OUT to Christ.  He is waiting!  Tell him how you are feeling.  Ask him to give you peace.  But also make sure you praise Him for all the blessings that He has already given to you! The verse does say pray but with thanksgiving. God is awesome and powerful but He isn't a magic genie. We don't get to just rub his lamp and tell him what to do. Oh how many times have I had to remind myself of this?!  So for example last night I would (literally) cry out to God about how anxious I was and BEG for Him to send me HIS peace.  And then the next time I prayed for myself I made it a prayer of thanksgiving. So I told Him how thankful I was for His love, and Christ, how thankful I was for Mr. J & our kids. I could go on for days on the ways the Lords has blessed me.  God is good!  Even when life doesn't seem like it, He is there and He has a plan for you.  Call out to Him and He WILL give you that peace and guard you heart and mind.


From BrightGreenDoor.com


Love, Lacey

No comments:

Post a Comment